Monday 23 April 2012

Pasta Primavera

The cherry blossoms on the tree outside my house lasted about three days before being destroyed by hail on Saturday. I shouldn't be so depressed; we've already eaten Sunday lunch outside twice this year; the sun is high enough that I've squeezed a post-work G&T into the tiny terrace outside the back door, and on Sunday I somehow fitted a coffee and croissant into the light between the showers.

I've also been enjoying the first spring vegetables, sprouting broccoli and asparagus in particular. And, as ever in the single kitchen, there have been leftovers lurking in the bottom of my fridge for the last week. I had been out after work and hadn't shopped for dinner, so with no other supplies in, pasta primavera it was.

I have to confess that, until I started writing this post, I had no idea that "pasta primavera" was an American invention of the seventies rather than a centuries-old Italian tradition. Minus 10 foodie points. I like to think that this is a bit closer to something you'd eat in Italy - no cream and cornflour, no marinara sauce and herbes de provence, no Philly... just some very lightly cooked vegetables and a little pancetta for seasoning. I also added a chargrilled artichoke from a jar (because I had one in the fridge) and a handful of chopped parsley (ditto), but feel free to ignore these.


Pasta Primavera


75g short pasta (fusilli, penne, etc)
3 stalks asparagus
3 (large) stalks sprouting broccoli, or 6 very weedy stalks
50g frozen peas
50g pancetta
1 or 2 chargrilled jarred artichokes, cut up a bit
handful parsley, chopped

Bring a large pan of water to the boil, and throw in the pasta. Chop up the pancetta into little bits and fry with a drop or two of oil until crispy.

Chop the asparagus and broccoli into pieces roughly the same size as your pasta; once the pasta is two minutes from being cooked throw in the asparagus, broccoli, and frozen peas.

Once cooked, drain the pasta and vegetables and toss with the pancetta and its oil, the artichokes and a spoonful or so of their oil, and the parsley. It shouldn't need any seasoning, but you can grate a little parmesan over if you like.

Eat, convincing yourself that it isn't drizzling outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment